Hi guys, here’s the video about the recent project updates:
In this video I talk about: – the new EVO lever body – VRMax head ported from MKIII version – files re-organized, new naming convention, and changes to how files are stored – simchair hardware configurator – master configuration split into files – the best way to test simchair hardware with joystick gremlin – Arduino Pro Mega board
Guys, a quick question, do you want a standalone USB version of the collective that will work without the master controller?
I see it as a lever for those of us who just want to add a collective to their existing system and the master box with one wire plugged in simply does seem really needed in that case.
This lever might have a USB-B socket on it instead of one of the RJ-45 sockets, this way you will still be able to connect extensions, but if the collective and, say, VRMax pedestal is all you really need, you won’t have extra wires and stuff hanging around.
What do you think? I’d like to hear some feedback in comments. Thanks! =)
Also, please fill the poll, that will help me to understand what devices are needed more than others =)
P.S. please leave a comment if you do so I could understand you’re not a robot.
While updating the AB412 head code to work with XTrident 412 in Xplane I decided to rewrite it in a better way, and then inspiration kicked in and I have made a few important changes in the firmware structure =)
Long ago, when Simchair only existed as an idea in my mind, I mostly tried to use its prototype to control my Trex 450 and used Arduino UNO as the master controller. It had no native USB support and was generally a pain, but one thing was good about it – the reliable and strong USB-B socket. I was never happy with the micro USB one on the Leonardo – so I finally decided to redesign the controller and addressed a few of its problems. Here’s what was changed:
changed size of the box to 100x90mm
brittle micro USB socket on the board changed to USB-B socket glued into the box
5th I2C socket added (the box needed to become larger to fit the new USB socket)
strengthened the front panel so it won’t be bending because of hot glue
removed the reset button (never used it)
added a rib that will help to hold sockets in place and protect the board from glue
fixed nut sockets height and chamfered their edges
In the process of building another cyclic, I have taken some photos of improved cable management in the base – this way everything can still be detached for repairs with ease, yet looks cleaner than the old variant. I have also uploaded a pic of what goes where to the rates control panel manual – with it its much easier to get it right from the 1st time.
If you feel that something can be made better – and e.g. you can contribute some photos or a description of the part you found to be hard to understand / badly described in the wiki – please let me know, we will improve it together =)