MKIV master controller V2

Long ago, when Simchair only existed as an idea in my mind, I mostly tried to use its prototype to control my Trex 450 and used Arduino UNO as the master controller. It had no native USB support and was generally a pain, but one thing was good about it – the reliable and strong USB-B socket. I was never happy with the micro USB one on the Leonardo – so I finally decided to redesign the controller and addressed a few of its problems. Here’s what was changed:

  • changed size of the box to 100x90mm
  • brittle micro USB socket on the board changed to USB-B socket glued into the box
  • 5th I2C socket added (the box needed to become larger to fit the new USB socket)
  • strengthened the front panel so it won’t be bending because of hot glue
  • removed the reset button (never used it)
  • added a rib that will help to hold sockets in place and protect the board from glue
  • fixed nut sockets height and chamfered their edges
  • new rounded design

I will publish the files after some testing.

4 Replies to “MKIV master controller V2”

  1. I’ve made this recently. It’s pretty great, but I did have to add the reset button back, because my Leonardo seems to sometimes lock up when trying to upload a sketch, which needs a reset to clear. Overall, I’m about a third way through putting the project together, and I’m pleased so far.

    1. Glad you like it mate =)
      Maybe we should add the reset button back indeed. Originally, I’ve used it to be able to reflash a “bricked” board – under some circumstances, the old MKIII firmware was causing memory overflow or smth making the board unusable after flashing, it could be fixed by flashing a small sketch, like “blink” after resetting the board through a press of a button. The problem was fixed in MKIV software, so I never used the button since then.

      Cheers!

      1. Well, that’s fine and dandy until someone starts modding the firmware. 🙂 In particular, I was trying to add the MkIII stackable throttle, mostly because I didn’t realize there was an MkIV one until after I built a chunk of it. I modded it with knobs and little friction pads, so it feels pretty nice. I wanted something to fly twin engine props in IL-2.

        1. BTW, I tried to contact you on Discord some time ago, if you have a friend request from a Dragon, that’s me. The throttle thing was fairly straightforward, but I’ve got a few other ideas. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.